Monday 18 May 2009

My Gluten free Blogspot

I thought it would be easier to to start a gluten free blogspot to put all my gluten free recipes and "finds". So I hope you will come and look and find things you like.
I'll add my latest gluten free goodie I made. Hope you enjoy it!


Home made Gluten Free Muesli

I finally had time this morning to make some more of my gluten free muesli. I haven't had any to eat for the past couple of weeks. Work has been busy. School wants to upgrade the canteen, so I've had to go up when I'm not working to see contractors for quotes. Not that I mind, I've just been busier than usual.
So here is my muesli. I adapted it from a muesli recipe that I use to make before I went gluten free. After going gluten free I found some absolutely delicious muesli, but at $24.00 a kilo couldn't bring myself to buy it more than once. So read all the ingredients and my old recipe and WHALAA!!!! MY HOMEMADE GLUTEN FREE MUESLI. And the good thing is you can adjust it to how you like!!

Homemade Gluten Free Muesli (Picture below)
1 cup Poha Flakes (picture below - available at Indian food shops. These are thin like rolled oats)
1/2 cup rolled rice flakes
1/2 cup quinoa flakes (picture below)
1/2 cup amaranth puffed cereal (I use Orgran brand)
1/4 - 1/2 cup rice bran straws
1/4 cup buckwheat kernels
1/4 cup pepitas
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I use rice bran oil - no cholesterol!!)
2 tablespoons prune juice (this keeps in the fridge - unless you like drinking it!!)
3/4 cup shredded coconut (I use McKenzie's moist flakes)
1/2 - 1 cup Macadamia nuts (or your choice - almonds, pecans, hazelnuts)
1/3 cup chopped dried apricots
1/3 cup chopped dried apples
1/3 cup sultanas
1/4 cup craisins

Preheat oven to moderate (180c/160c fan-forced). Combine poha flakes, rolled rice flakes, quinoa flakes, and amaranth in a bowl, then spread evenly on oven tray (with about 2 inch sides). Roast in oven for 5 mins. Stir in rice bran straws, buckwheat kernels, pepitas and cinnamon through the mixture. Combine the oil, honey and prune juice, then drizzle over mixture and stir through. Make sure you keep stirring till all mixture seems coated. Roast 5 - 10 mins. Stir in coconut and nuts. Roast 5 - -10 mins. Remove tray from oven and place muesli back in bowl you used to combine things. Stir through dried fruit. Serve with yoghurt, milk or juice. 

This muesli goes great with natural or vanilla yoghurt.

Here is what the Poha Flakes and Quinoa Flakes look like.

Here is the finished product.

This time I didn't have any dried apricots, so I chopped up some dried dates and used those instead of the apricots. This recipe is very easy to adapt to what dried fruit you like. You can even add other grains you like. The first time I made it, I didn't have any quinoa flakes or amaranth in it. Quinoa is easily digestible and has great benefits, just google it if you want to know more about it. Amaranth has one of the highest levels of protein of any grain and also contains high quantities of eight essential amino acids. So I figured it would do me good to add them to my muesli.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Terri, thanks for stopping by my blog. I love the prune juice in your recipe, it's so nice and sweet- there won't be any left though as I love to drink it!
    I like your Thermomix recipes too. My Mum bought me one just last week and I've had such a fantastic time playing with it so far. It's so easy with jam isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you stopped by here too. What new things have you made with your Thermomix? I love my Thermie. Yes, jam is easy, and ice cream (well fruity dream!). Still learning lots to do with mine too.

    ReplyDelete